Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: MovieStuff - Ultra 8 questions

  1. #1
    Inactive Member charonjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2002
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    MovieStuff,

    Your previous thread on Ultra 8 has me excited. So here's what's up.

    I will be getting a Bolex H-8 camera modified to take Double Super 8 film. I already have a Bolex H-8 for Regular 8 film.

    I know how to switch the sprockets from one camera to the other, so that the R8 camera will have the S8 sprockets.

    My main concern is the sprocket hole size and pitch difference. I'm not certain the Super 8 film can accept the R8 registration claws, they may be too big. The pitch might not allow the top and bottom claws to engage simultaneously. What do you think about this?

    John Schwind sells B&W Fomapan in Double Super 8 in both 25ft and 100ft daylight spools. I'm thinking of experimenting with a 25ft length to see how this all works out. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to experiment. [img]wink.gif[/img]

    This is all still a bit of time down the road (June), but I wanted your thoughts and comments on this approach to achieving the Ultra 8 format.
    [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    David

  2. #2
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, David!

    I think it worth exporing but I think the ever-so-tiny difference in pitch (which I was previously totally unaware of) will cause you some problems with the double claw. Also, the general thickness of the claw might be a problem, I don't know. I know very little about regular 8mm, actually. My experience has mostly been with Super 8 and single 8 cameras. The main interest I had in the Regular 8 to Super 8 conversion was because so many regular 8mm cameras already exposed the entire width of the 8mm strip. It just seemed to me IF you had a camera that already did that, no machining of the gate would be necessary to widen it.

    Now, having said that, you should be warned that many rolls of regular 8mm we've transferred also had some of the tiniest little frames with gigiantic frame lines and a huge gap next to the sprocket holes. Some were so small that we could not crop in all the way. So, before you do the conversion, I would shoot a test roll of regular 8mm and see what the frame size is like. If it doesn't have the "built-in" Ultra 8 characteristic, then I'm not sure it would be worth the risk, financially.

    Let me know how it goes. If you get it to work, I'll transfer the first roll for free so everyone can see!

    Roger

  3. #3
    Inactive Member charonjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2002
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi MovieStuff!

    I'm game. We'll see how it all goes.

    I've shot film on the R8 Bolex before. I'll check to see if it has the U8 characteristic we're looking for.

    Other than that, when loading the camera, if the loop cannot be maintained we'll know it doesn't work.
    [img]smile.gif[/img]
    David

  4. #4
    Inactive Member reg8mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2002
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Where do you get your Bolex H8 modified to accept DS8 film? I'm interested as I've worked out that I'd save a lot of money on film if I shot Fomapan from J Schwind.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member charonjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2002
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Reg8mm,

    To be honest, I don't know. 20 years ago, I knew of several places that would do the modifications. But, they're no longer around.

    This is why I've decided to buy someone else's DS8 Bolex H-8. It's cheaper than what I suspect modifications would cost on my current Bolex. I'm thinking at least $500 (?), if not more. The camera I'm getting is definitely less than that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •